Are you craving a delicious pumpkin pie but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen? Look no further than this easy and delicious Costco pumpkin pie recipe! Costco is known for its amazing selection of high-quality products, and their pumpkin pie is no exception. With a perfectly flaky crust and a creamy, spiced pumpkin filling, this pie is sure to be a hit at any gathering or as a sweet treat for yourself.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it saves you time and effort. Instead of starting from scratch and making your own pie crust and pumpkin filling, you can simply pick up a pre-made Costco pumpkin pie and add your own personal touch to it. Whether you want to jazz it up with a homemade whipped cream topping or serve it alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream, the possibilities are endless.
Introduction to Costco Pumpkin Pie Recipe
When it comes to delectable desserts, Costco’s pumpkin pie takes the spotlight with its scrumptious flavor and wallet-friendly price tag. This article aims to guide you through a step-by-step recipe so you can recreate this iconic treat in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Overview of Costco’s Famous Pumpkin Pie
Costco’s pumpkin pie is renowned for its unbeatable combination of rich flavors and affordable price. This delectable dessert has gained immense popularity among both pie enthusiasts and budget-conscious individuals.
Each bite of Costco’s pumpkin pie is a delightful experience, showcasing a perfect balance of velvety smooth pumpkin filling infused with warm autumn spices, encased in a flaky golden crust. The sweet aroma and creamy texture of this pie make it an irresistible treat for any occasion – be it a Thanksgiving feast, a holiday gathering, or simply a sweet indulgence to satisfy your dessert cravings.
The Secret Behind Costco Pumpkin Pie’s Irresistible Taste
What sets Costco’s pumpkin pie apart from the rest is not only its deliciousness but also the careful attention paid to each ingredient. The recipe combines simple yet high-quality components to create a pie that stands out among its competitors.
The secret lies in the use of fresh, premium pumpkin puree, meticulously selected to ensure the perfect consistency and natural sweetness. This high-quality pumpkin puree forms the base of the pie’s luscious filling, giving it that distinctive, indulgent flavor.
In addition to the pumpkin puree, Costco’s recipe incorporates an expertly balanced blend of warm spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. These aromatic spices work harmoniously to enhance the pumpkin’s natural sweetness, creating a mouthwatering symphony of flavors.
Furthermore, the pie’s crust is also a crucial element in achieving its unparalleled taste. Costco takes pride in using a homemade-like crust that boasts a delectable buttery flavor and a perfectly flaky texture. This carefully crafted crust provides a delicate foundation for the velvety pumpkin filling, adding an extra layer of scrumptiousness to the pie.
Recreating Costco Pumpkin Pie at Home
Now that you know the secrets to Costco’s famous pumpkin pie, it’s time to bring this delectable dessert into your own kitchen. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you’ll be able to enjoy the irresistible taste of Costco’s pumpkin pie anytime you desire.
- 1 can (15 ounces) of premium quality pumpkin puree
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) of evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and prepare the pie crust by gently pressing it into a pie dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add them to the pumpkin mixture. Stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Gradually pour in the evaporated milk while continuously stirring the mixture.
- Once the filling is smooth and well-combined, pour it into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and continue baking for an additional 40-50 minutes.
- Check the pie for doneness by inserting a knife into the center; if it comes out clean, your pie is ready to be taken out of the oven.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before serving, as this will ensure the filling sets properly.
Once you’ve mastered this recipe, you’ll have the pleasure of savoring a homemade version of Costco’s famous pumpkin pie. With its tantalizing flavors and budget-friendly nature, this delightful dessert is sure to impress your family and friends. So, gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and get ready to embark on a culinary adventure that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy!
Ingredients for Costco Pumpkin Pie
To make a Costco-style pumpkin pie, you will need a specific set of ingredients. This section will provide a detailed list of the items needed for the recipe.
List of required ingredients
Before you start making your Costco pumpkin pie, it’s important to gather all the necessary ingredients. Here’s a comprehensive list of what you’ll need:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup of shortening
- 5-7 tablespoons of ice-cold water
- 1 can (15 ounces) of pumpkin puree
- 1 can (14 ounces) of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
- Whipped cream for serving (optional)
Making the perfect pie crust
Creating a delicious pumpkin pie starts with a well-made crust. The crust is what holds the pie together and gives it that irresistible flaky texture. Follow these steps to make the perfect pie crust:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the shortening and use a pastry cutter or your hands to cut the shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle ice-cold water, one tablespoon at a time, over the flour mixture while tossing with a fork. Continue adding water and mixing until the dough comes together and can be formed into a ball.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts and flatten each into a disk shape.
- Wrap the dough disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Remove one dough disk from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Transfer the rolled-out dough to a 9-inch pie dish and press it gently into the bottom and along the sides.
- Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges and use your fingers or a fork to crimp the edges for a decorative finish.
- Use a fork to prick holes in the bottom and sides of the crust to prevent it from puffing up during baking.
- Repeat the process with the second dough disk if you’re making a double-crust pie.
- Place the pie crust(s) in the oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely.
A rich and creamy pumpkin filling
The center of attention in any pumpkin pie is the filling. Costco’s pumpkin pie is known for its smooth and creamy texture. Follow these steps to achieve that perfect filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, salt, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and nutmeg (if desired).
- Use an electric mixer or whisk to blend the ingredients together until smooth and well combined.
- Once the pie crust has cooled, pour the pumpkin filling into the crust, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
- Place the pie(s) in the preheated oven and bake at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and continue baking for an additional 40-50 minutes, or until the filling is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pie(s) from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
- For the best flavor and texture, refrigerate the pie(s) for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Once chilled, serve slices of your delicious homemade Costco pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
Now, you have all the instructions and ingredients you need to make your very own delicious Costco-style pumpkin pie. Enjoy the process of baking and savor every bite of this seasonal treat!
Instructions for Making Costco Pumpkin Pie
Have you ever wondered how to recreate the mouthwatering goodness of Costco’s famous pumpkin pie in the comfort of your own kitchen? Look no further, as we provide you with a detailed guide on how to make a delectable Costco pumpkin pie that will impress your family and friends.
Preparing the crust
The first step in creating a perfect Costco pumpkin pie is preparing the crust. This is an important component that adds a delicious, buttery texture to the pie. To start, gather the following ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 6-8 tablespoons of ice water
Begin by combining the flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the chilled, cubed butter and use a pastry blender or your fingers to incorporate it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Next, slowly add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, while gently mixing the dough with a fork. Mix just until the dough begins to come together. Be careful not to overmix, as this can result in a tough crust.
Once the dough has come together, shape it into a disc and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour to allow it to rest and firm up.
When the dough has chilled, remove it from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to slightly soften. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a circle large enough to fit your pie dish.
Carefully transfer the rolled-out dough to the pie dish and press it gently into the bottom and along the sides. Trim off any excess dough hanging over the edges and crimp the edges for a decorative finish.
Making the pumpkin filling
Now that the crust is ready, it’s time to move on to the star of the show – the pumpkin filling. To create the luscious filling that mirrors Costco’s recipe, gather the following ingredients:
- 1 can (29 ounces) of pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, heavy cream, granulated sugar, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Using a whisk or an electric mixer on low speed, mix the ingredients until they are well combined and smooth.
After the filling is thoroughly mixed, carefully pour it into the prepared pie crust. Smooth the top with a spatula to ensure an even distribution.
Baking and serving the pie
Now that the pie is assembled, it’s time to bake it to perfection. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and place the pie on the center rack. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350°F (175°C) and continue baking for an additional 40-50 minutes, or until the filling is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once the pie is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack. This cooling period allows the flavors to meld together and the filling to set fully.
When the pie has cooled, it’s time to serve and garnish it for a visually stunning presentation. You can opt to serve your Costco pumpkin pie as is, or add a dollop of freshly whipped cream on top. For an extra touch of elegance, sprinkle a pinch of ground cinnamon or nutmeg over the whipped cream.
Now that you have the secret recipe to recreate Costco’s famous pumpkin pie, you can enjoy this delectable treat whenever the craving strikes. With a buttery crust and a silky pumpkin filling, your homemade Costco pumpkin pie will have everyone asking for seconds!
Tips and Variations
In this section, we will provide you with some tips and ideas on how to give your Costco pumpkin pie an extra kick by adding different spices and seasonings. These suggestions will help you create a unique and personalized twist on the classic recipe.
Adding a touch of spice
There are several spices that can complement the flavor of your pumpkin pie. You can experiment with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, or even ginger. Adding a pinch of these spices to your pie filling will enhance its taste and give it a warm, autumnal aroma. Feel free to adjust the amount of spice according to your preference.
If you are feeling adventurous, you can also try adding a dash of pumpkin spice blend to your pie. This blend usually consists of a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and sometimes allspice. It will give your pie a unique and flavorful twist.
Optional toppings and serving ideas
Once your homemade pie is baked and ready, you can take it to the next level by adding some delightful toppings. The most classic choice is whipped cream. You can use store-bought whipped cream or make your own by whipping heavy cream with a touch of sugar until soft peaks form. Dollop a generous amount onto each slice of pie for a creamy and indulgent experience.
If you prefer something cold and refreshing, you can serve your pumpkin pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The combination of warm pie and cold ice cream creates a delightful contrast that will surely please your taste buds. You can also drizzle some caramel sauce or sprinkle a handful of chopped nuts on top to add extra texture and flavor.
If you’re feeling creative, you can even experiment with unique garnishes. Try adding a sprinkle of cinnamon or pumpkin spice on top of your whipped cream or ice cream. You can also garnish with a few pieces of candied ginger or a drizzle of maple syrup. Let your imagination run wild and create a presentation that is as visually appealing as it is delicious.
Storage and shelf life
After enjoying a slice (or two) of your homemade Costco pumpkin pie, you may be wondering how to store the leftovers or prepare the pie ahead of time. Proper storage is essential to maintain its freshness and flavor.
If you have any leftover pie, it is best to store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. This will help prevent the pie from drying out and keep it fresh for up to 3-4 days. You can store the pie at room temperature or in the refrigerator, depending on your preference.
If you plan to make your pumpkin pie ahead of time, you can bake it a day or two in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Simply cover the pie with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep it protected. When you’re ready to serve, you can reheat the pie in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes to restore its warm and flaky texture.
Remember, homemade pumpkin pie is best enjoyed fresh, but with proper storage and handling, you can still savor its deliciousness for days to come.
Enjoy your homemade Costco pumpkin pie!
By following the recipe and tips provided in this article, you will be able to recreate the beloved Costco pumpkin pie right in the comfort of your own kitchen. It’s a wonderful way to enjoy the delightful flavors of fall without having to leave your home.
The Costco pumpkin pie has become a favorite among many for its cost-effectiveness and delicious taste. Now, you can impress your family and friends with this homemade version that tastes just as good, if not better.
Remember to gather all the necessary ingredients before you start, including the canned pumpkin puree, spices, and the pre-made pie crust. It’s always a good idea to double-check your pantry and make sure you have everything you need to avoid any last-minute trips to the grocery store.
As you start making the pie filling, add sweetness to your life by mixing in the right amount of sugar and brown sugar. The combination of these two sugars will enhance the flavor and give the pie a rich and creamy texture.
When it comes to spices, don’t shy away from them. Embrace the warm and aromatic flavors of fall by adding a good amount of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to the pumpkin mixture. These spices will not only make your kitchen smell heavenly, but they will also infuse your pie with that classic pumpkin pie taste.
The secret to a smooth and creamy filling is using condensed milk. This ingredient adds a luscious texture to the pie while keeping it perfectly balanced in terms of sweetness. It’s important to blend the ingredients well and achieve a consistent mixture before pouring it into the pie crust. This will ensure an evenly baked and velvety smooth filling.
Once the pie is baked and cooled, you can either serve it as is or add some additional toppings to enhance the presentation and flavor. Whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top are classic choices, but you can get creative and try other toppings such as crushed graham crackers or a drizzle of caramel sauce. The choice is yours!
Finally, take a moment to savor the delightful flavors of your homemade Costco pumpkin pie. Each creamy and aromatic bite will transport you to a cozy autumn day, surrounded by loved ones. This cost-effective dessert is not only delicious, but it also brings warmth and comfort to any gathering or celebration.
So what are you waiting for? Gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and get ready to enjoy the homemade version of the iconic Costco pumpkin pie.
Happy baking and bon appétit!